Friday, July 8, 2011

"Uncharted" Video Game Movie Adaptation hires Writer/Director!!!

Neil Burger("The Illusionist", "Limitless") has been announced to step into the writer & director's chair after David O. Russell("Three Kings", "The Fighter") dropped. Russell left due to creative differences...Yeah, whatever. Mark Wahlberg was also eyeing this project in which there was a family emphasis on the action, Indiana Jones-esque adventure tale. Honestly, the family storyline is ridiculous. If you know anything about the "Uncharted" series is that it is already a cinematic video game that doesn't emphasize in a 'family' as Russell was proposing. In other words, the story is already there. There doesn't need to be a 'new take' on the material because that would change what fans love. Actually, this could be the only video game movie adaptation that works. Moreover, this project is looking to be more and more sans Wahlberg due to Russell's departure.

Neil Burger has a real talent of creating immersive worlds. I saw "Limitless" a couple months ago and I was pretty impressed. The way the film was shot and how he directed action has me geared up for this. The only thing that might worry me is the casting of the lead, Nathan Drake. You see, Drake is a fun character - sarcastic side to him and doesn't take too much seriously. Of course the core to him is serious but we need an actor that can be both. Nathan Fillion is not a box office draw so I believe he is out. Bradley Cooper is a contender, especially since he just worked with Burger on "Limitless". My personal pick at this point is Brad Pitt or Leonardo DiCaprio. I know they will want younger actors for a potential franchise but I really can't think of any else at this point.
I really hope Hollywood doesn't screw this up. I really think this is an interesting choice for a director. I mean, this is my favorite video game series, with the 3rd one on it's way on November 1, 2011. If you enjoy great special effects, immersive worlds, great cinematic stories, great gameplay, and if you are in the slightest bit an Indiana Jones fan, play these games. Let's not forget that "Uncharted 2: Among Thieves" won Game of the Year.

1 comment:

  1. I just read an article that David O. Russell has had a couple of "run-ins" with his actors in movies. Apparently he and George Clooney got into it on the set of "Three Kings", as well as with Lily Tomlin on another movie I can't name at the moment. Maybe it's good he's not directing this one. LOL Anyway, I really liked "Limitless" as well. I've never played this game, but it looks like it will make a cool movie!

    ReplyDelete