Thursday, August 21, 2014

Why I haven't read "Wonder Woman" by Brian Azzarello until now is beyond Me!

Look, I love Wonder Woman but I have always really seen her as a side character (see: Justice League). Now, I'm not saying I'm sexist by any mean but it's all about relate-ability, right? Wrong. A most definite wrong, especially in this case. 

If you are familiar with Azzarello's work at all, you may note that his comics are 'grittier' than most and more graphically violent and sexual. With his work on Wonder Woman (starting from the New 52 reboot), it is all of this and more. Wonder Woman (I just love typing her name out every time) makes a shocking discovery about her origin and goes on a quest of sorts. This quest brings her into contact with many Greek gods, including Hermes, Hera, Apollo, Hades and Poseidon (to name a few). All of these characters play well (not really) with each other in their already rich, already known, backgrounds. It's the dynamic between each of the gods, including Wonder Woman and her team that makes this journey very interesting. 

With that being said, Wonder Woman is a straight up bad ass and has completely changed how I felt about her. Pick up the books or trade paperbacks! 
Overall Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment