Monday, August 29, 2011

The Significance of "The Thirteenth Floor"

I cannot quite remember how I stumbled upon this film but it did leave a mark on me. Yeah, it is a sci-fi film but it's one of those more rare sci-fi films that is thought provoking and philosophical. This 1999 film came out just after "The Matrix" and never quite found the audience it deserved.
The film examines the idea of a completely immersive, virtual world that is just as real as ours but takes place in 1937 Los Angeles. I do not want to spoil the movie for those that have not seen it. However, I will say that it was branded as a "Matrix" imitation even though it came out only two months after "The Matrix" did. It inhibits similar themes but the two films are quite different.
If you're a Sci-Fi geek and haven't seen this, you are really missing out.
For details via IMDB, click here.

"I think, therefore I am." - Rene Descartes

No comments:

Post a Comment