Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Saying "Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon" is the best in the series isn't saying much.....

First off let me say this huge blockbuster is the best “Transformers” out of the series thus far. I believe that ‘Dark Side of the Moon’, in which the dark side of the moon is never shown, works as more a film than a mindless, spectacle in the vein of ‘Revenge of the Fallen’. Does Michael Bay care about story? Yes, you can tell he has this time around? Does it make sense? Nope. Does it have to? Nope. It’s sort of like that dubious line “It’s good for what it is”. That’s the best way I can describe the film. I can see why audiences love the film and critics hate it. Critics are, well, critical. Audiences appreciate and see mostly just the entertainment value. If I were a fan of the Transformers, I would still be disappointed.
I also wondered why such talent as Frances McDormand and John Malkovich appeared in this film. Their roles were unimportant and delay the progression of the story. Was Shia good? Yes, he was better. I blame the script for the lines he and the rest of the cast had to deliver. Just like them and a lot of the characters in the film, you simply don’t really care for them. Along with the many plot holes(too many to cover), I understand what Bay was ‘trying’ to do in that he wants audiences to sympathize with the characters. You see, Bay has mastered action (probably the best) but not the ability to film a story. Let me put it this way. It’s like watching “Avatar” or any of the “Transformers” films 50 years from now. In the future, people would overlook and probably laugh at it. The effects would seem very outdated by that time and more importantly, the stories were not significant or meaningful. Why do people still watch and rewatch “Star Wars” or “Back to the Future”? It’s because of storytelling. Until Michael Bay really understands that, people and critics will not take him seriously. Overall Grade: C

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this one was better than #2. I still enjoy the first film the most out of the series, mostly because I like the humor aspect...and I have a strange crush on Shia Lebouf. Dark Side of the Mood was too long, but I did enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete