Monday, June 13, 2011

Superman? Is that You??

Ok, so I was at a wedding on Friday and didn't catch this news until today. So, for all non-comic book nerds this can still be labeled as news. With the 'relaunch' DC Comics is pushing coming this September, they've been releasing some comic book cover art and further details surrounding the relaunch of its characters. Of course I missed the release of Superman's new costumes. You see, Superman will be involved in 4 different comics - "Action Comics", "Superman: The Man of Tomorrow", "Superboy", and "Supergirl".


Let's start off with the worst and what I consider an abomination in my opinion.




1. "Action Comics"

What the hell? They better have a good excuse for this. The story is supposedly taking place when Superman is dealing with being the world's first hero. So, that would mean probably in the late 1930s or 1940s. The story idea actually sounds neat but what the hell is up with that costume? Superman with a tight t-shirt? What's with that small cape? Is that seriously attached to the t-shirt? Sigh......You know what the creators were probably thinking? "You know what would complete this tight t-shirt look? Tight jeans with rips and tears and let's give him worker boots!" "This can make him look bad ass!" Yeah, whatever....again, I hope they have a good excuse for this.


2. "Superman: The Man of Tomorrow"
I'm glad they are opting to do away with the underwear on the outside thereby making Superman look practical. I mean, seriously. What is the purpose of the underwear on the outside? This look matches nicely with the upgraded suit and doesn't stand as an assumed tights costume.









3. "Supergirl"

This is a sleak look for this character. Maybe a little to radical but I believe it works. The cape is strange yet formal and the character is less slutty. Wait, that's a bad thing. I guess you can be the judge below.









4. "Superboy"

Probably my most favorite new costume. This immediately reminded me of Clu's minions from "Tron: Legacy".




Overall, I like what I'm seeing from DC Comics' relaunch. I'm glad they are taking the risk. People are scared of change but once the change actually happens, I think we'll all win out. Whether it be digitally or on paper, we'll all also get a relaunch so that more people can become comic book fans and current comic book fans can experience different takes on their favorite characters. Just do something about that terrible Action Comics Superman costume!!!



For more information regarding Superman's line of comics visit DC Universe: The Source here.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to the relaunch too, I just hate change for change's sake. Fingers crossed.

    -- Nick
    http://nickleshi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on Nick. I'll add you to my followed list.

    ReplyDelete